Saturday, September 10, 2011

How Was My Football Weekend? It's Easy to Figure Out . . .

For me, there is no other worthwhile spectator sport than college football, particularly Southeastern Conference football. I will sometimes watch a pro football game, and I enjoy Olympic events, but for consistent emotional wringing, I go to college football. So, for the convenience of any blog readers, here is the easy way to figure out how my college football week has gone.

I always want Alabama to win. If Auburn is not playing Alabama, then I want Auburn to win. I always want the western division of the SEC to win over an eastern division rival. I always pull for an SEC team who is playing for someone outside the conference.

My reasoning is that I always want Alabama to play the absolutely best opponents possible, and, given conference commitments (SEC teams play eight conference rivals during the regular season), Alabama, like every other SEC team, needs all its conference opponents to prove themselves against teams outside the conference. Georgia's loss to Boise State in the 2011 season opener, for example, hurts the entire SEC and will inflate Boise State's rankings. While Alabama will not play Georgia this year (unless they meet in the conference championship), the SEC needed that Georgia win.

So, Roll Tide! I bleed crimson, but my family is full of Auburn fans, so War Eagle, too, 364 days of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment