Thursday, October 27, 2011

I Am Tired, and This Entry Is So Wrong

As a graduate student, I spent the majority of my semesters teaching two classes a semester. During my MA years, I taught first-year composition exclusively, and as a PhD student, I got sophomore survey assignments. I usually taught two classes a semester while taking two myself, so every evening I had class prep for my dual roles. That demanding pace helped me to develop a resilience necessary to satisfy a work ethic my conscience could tolerate.

I feel as if I have not left that pace. About three years ago, I became an associate dean of my college, and my administrative duties require a great deal of attention; I also teach two classes a semester; as I professor in my department, I also perform research and write as much as I can. As a result, even though I am more than two decades out of graduate school, I find myself working at about the same rate with even more weight piled on top.

And, here I am, writing a blog entry about my situation. I better keep an eye on myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment