Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Oh, Rejection!

I have received two rejection notices in the past few days. One of them came from a literary magazine in west Tennessee, and all it contained was a slip of paper about the size of a business card, offering some vague comment about how my work did not suit the magazine's needs. The paper looked as if it were cut by hand from a larger sheet. My work had been with the magazine for just a couple of weeks. I felt dumped.

The other rejection notice was on stationery, and, while it contained a typed, likely canned rejection, someone on the staff wrote a note of thanks on it and signed it with initials. This journal had had these poems for a couple of months, and, to be fair, I had to contact them twice because I had simultaneously submitted the poems, and three had been taken by other journals.

Here at the end of the year, I imagine I will be receiving more rejection slips as various journals complete their selections, but I hope that they are not as discouraging as a processing slip from an anonymous inspector.

No comments:

Post a Comment